History

Our Mission

 
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."   


- Franklin D. Roosevelt    


 

image7

The Casa Libre/Freedom House is a historic mansion purchased by the Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law, Inc. in 1996.


Registered as a county, state and federal historic site, this 10,000-square-foot Gothic mansion was built in 1901.


The home was designed by renowned architect John Parkinson designer of the Los Angeles Coliseum, Los Angeles City Hall, and the Union Station. With vaulted ceilings and curved walls throughout, the house is an architectural masterpiece. Its Gothic construction is characterized by lightness and soaring spaces.


Freedom House is located in the Pico Union district of Los Angeles, close to a wide range of non-profit organizations providing community-based social services.


After being purchased, the Casa Libre/Freedom House was renovated with updated plumbing, electrical systems, ADA compliance, fire-alarm system, etc.


The program opened to serve as a shelter for homeless children and detained immigrant children in December 2002. Prior to the opening of the Casa Libre/Freedom House, the Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law operated a homeless youth shelter for over ten years at the Safe Haven Shelter, a six-bed shelter located a few blocks away from the Casa Libre site.

Learn More About the Center for Human Rights & Constitutional Law (CHRCL)

Find out more